Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Yoga Dilemma

While biking and running paths are great (and free!) in the warmer months, once the days shorten and the temperatures fall, people are forced to make some uncomfortable decisions regarding their exercise routines and spending. In Chicago, for example, gym and studio memberships can cost you between $25 and $200-plus each month. It's important to exercise and to feel comfortable while you do so, but are these high-end studios really worth the hole in the pocket?

I cashed in my unlimited month of yoga Groupon at CorePower Yoga earlier this month, and have been absolutely floored with the results. I feel healthier and stronger, and look forward to class each day. In addition, CorePower Yoga's new studio Lakeview between the Diversey and Wellington stops, is convenient, spacious and seemingly exclusive. But with a $130 monthly membership, I'm already panicking about my month being over. Choosing between a workout you love and a balanced checkbook just doesn't seem fair!

Have you any thoughts on the matter?

[image: CorePower Yoga]

2 comments:

  1. i love core power yoga! the student membership is A LOT more affordable - $90 per month so I'm lucky. At the one in LP, they had a sign saying that if you were able to help clean the studios 2 hr per week you could get a free membership... might be worth it...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Cara, I'm seriously considering it. Do you know of anyone who's doing it? I wonder if they are still looking for help...

    ReplyDelete