Friday, November 12, 2010

Andrew Wyeth's World

My grandma has a print of Andrew Wyeth's Christina’s World, which used to hang in the front bedroom of her house in Vienna, VA. The room was painted a cool blue; it was minimally furnished with a dark wooden desk, a thin white blanket over the double bed, and a nightstand with a small reading light. In the late afternoon, you could hear the grandfather clock ticking from out in the living room, the house could be so still.

Below are some other paintings by Wyeth that capture those same feelings of isolation and solitude, as depicted in Christina's World. Imagine my surprise when I saw how similar they are to how I remember my grandma's house!

For more information on Wyeth, click here and here.

[images: Chistina's World: MoMA, Wind From the Sea, Master Bedroom]

No comments:

Post a Comment